This month, we are thrilled to finally interview Kayla, gaining a deeper insight into her career as a photographer and her unwavering passion for horses.
Kayla is an exceptional photographer whose work truly embodies Equine Culture. We greatly appreciate her dedicated efforts.
1. What got you interested in Photography originally?
In high school I started taking photos of flowers and my own animals, which gave me great joy. In about 2017 I started exploring horse photography and it was game over, the two most expensive hobbies😅
2. What is your favourite type of shoot eg, horse and rider, show, people, pets etc?
Definitely personal shoots with horse and rider! Shows take so much time.
3. What is you favourite lighting to shoot in?
A cloudy day! But honestly I love sunrise shoots because lighting is so soft but most popular is sunset because no one likes to wake up early!
4. How long have you been riding for?
I have been riding for 6/7 years now, only started taking it semi seriously back in 2019 when I moved to another yard.
5. What’s is your favourite thing to do with your horse?
I love teaching tricks! It’s just so fulfilling to see them learn and catch on. I also really enjoy hacking, it gives your mind chance to be at ease.
6. When you work on editing your photos how long does it normally take?
It depends on how busy I am and how many shoots I have done, so it could range from a week to a month. If I can with shows, I try get them out the same night or the next day, so that people can make their posts.
7. What are some of the biggest challenges you've faced as a rider, and how have you overcome them?
I struggle with finding motivation to keep riding and have to keep telling myself to just go back to basics and not put pressure on myself.
8. What is your most memorable moment while working in the photography industry?
During shows, it’s definitely having all my clients on the podium and capturing how happy they were! Otherwise it’s creating friendships with clients and other photographers.
9. Which show is your favourite to shoot and why?
I love any show at KPC! But if I had to choose a specific show it would be Easter fest! Just got such a good vibe to it!
10. What are your goals for the future for both you and your horse?
I would like to get back to a normal schedule with my horse Pumpkin and get our confidence up to start jumping again.
11. Who is the rider you most admire?
I admire so many riders, it’s crazy! But I really love Bronwyn Dos Santos, she really makes sure her horses get the best care.
12. Lastly what’s your favourite product for our range and why?
I love, love, love the breeches! They are the most comfortable pair I’ve owned and I own quite a few. Can’t wait for more colours to come out!
A big thank you to Kayla for taking the time to be interviewed for this segment.
Follow Kayla on- https://www.instagram.com/kayeanp/